IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the world’s most popular English language test. More than 3 million IELTS Exam tests are taken each year. Qualifying IELTS opens doors – it can help a student live, study and work in countries like the USA, UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc.
More than 10,000 organizations in 140 countries accept IELTS, including schools, universities, employers, immigration authorities and professional bodies. IELTS assesses all of student’s English skills, whether it be reading, writing, listening or speaking. It is designed to reflect how a student will use English at study, at work, and at play, in his or her new life abroad.
Here is all you want to know information about IELTS Test 2018 related to eligibility criteria, test dates, registration process, application process, syllabus, exam pattern, result and selection procedure.
Key Highlights of IELTS 2018
- Exam Name: International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Commonly known as IELTS
- Exam Level: International Level Test
- Conducting Body of IELTS 2018: The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is jointly managed by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL).
IELTS Exam Eligibility Criteria 2018
There are no specific IELTS 2018 eligibility criteria set by the conducting bodies of IELTS. Any individual who wants to pursue higher studies abroad or seeking an opportunity to work in any one of the foreign countries that require English language proficiency can apply for IELTS 2018.
IELTS Academic scores are accepted by universities or institutions. Therefore, a candidate is required to check the eligibility criteria for the institution or organization he/she wishes to be associated with as individual organizations have different requirements.
IELTS Exam Syllabus 2018
IELTS 2018 has two formats:
- IELTS Academic
- IELTS General
Both the formats come with of four mandatory sections, like listening, reading, writing and speaking. While Listening and Speaking are the same for both the formats, the subject matter of the Reading and Writing components differ depending on which test one opts for.
IELTS 2018 test is designed to reflect the use of English language in our daily lives; at work, at play and study. The results of IELTS 2018 are scored on a unique 9-band scale.
The main purpose of these two versions or formats of IELTS are distinct, hence one should be cautious while registering for the test. A specific version can be selected depending on the institution or organization a student wishes to apply to.
Difference between IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training
|Suitable IELTS Test version||Purpose|
|IELTS Academic||Study at university at an undergraduate or postgraduate level, join a professional organization that requires English language proficiency test scores.|
|IELTS General Training||Study at below degree level, work or undertake work-related training, and for emigration purpose.|
IELTS Test Pattern 2018
The total duration of IELTS test is 2 hours 45 minutes. Listening, Reading and Writing sections are conducted one after the other while speaking test is scheduled on the same day or within seven days before or after the test. While every candidate must take similar Listening and Speaking modules, the Reading and Writing modules differ for the two formats called IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training.
IELTS Exam 2018
The speaking test will be conducted as a one-on-one test to assess candidates’
- English fluency
- Grammatical accuracy
The responses are recorded by the examiner for analysis and scoring purpose. The candidates are put through a real-life conversation with a real person to get their English conversation skills tested.
Know about the four sections of IELTS 2018 test
|IELTS Test Component||Duration||Brief Description|
|Listening||30 minutes||4 sections, 40 items|
|Reading||60 minutes||3 sections, 40 items|
|Writing||60 minutes||2 tasks|
|Speaking||11–14 minutes||One-on-one conversation divided into three parts|
IELTS Application form 2018
IELTS 2018 application is open round the year. Depending on the test centre, it is held for a maximum of four times per month. The IELTS 2018 test can be re-taken for an unlimited number of times after registering and paying separately for each test.
Candidates need to abide by the procedure listed below to complete IELTS application form 2018:
- Go to the official website (each IELTS conducting body has different application portals) and go through the information carefully before applying for the same
- You need to decide which format is best for you
- Select the city where you want to appear from
- Check the available IELTS test dates
- Register online
- Once required details are filled in, choose payments options: debit card, credit card or demand draft
- Assemble all documents and send them
- Select up to five universities of your choice to send the IELTS test scores
How to know the IELTS Exam 2018 Test Date
- Visit the official IELTS website
- Click ‘How do I register’, then click ‘Book a test’
- Click inquiry to locate your test location
- Select IELTS Test 2018, then select the country
- You can select your city/ town
- The next page will display all IELTS test date 2018
- If satisfied with the date, click ‘Apply’ next to it
IELTS accepting institutes and organizations
- IELTS scores are accepted by over 10,000 organizations and institutions across the globe.
- The IELTS 2018 test scores are required by the educational institutions, international employers, and government bodies to check the English language proficiency level of the aspirant.
- Different bodies might require different IELTS bands (0–9).
- While universities ask for IELTS Academic scores, government organizations require IELTS General Training scores.
Step by Step Instructions to check Country-wise Organization and Institution for IELTS Exam 2018 Exam
Step 1. Visit IELTS test official website
Step 2. Click ‘ About the test’
Step 3. Click ‘Who accepts IELTS scores?’
Step 4. If you have any institute/ organization in mind, enter the name
Step 5. Else Click ‘Advanced options’
Step 6. Then, select from options that suite you best
Step 7. Enter location, city/ state and click ‘Search IELTS organizations’
Step 8. The next page displays the list of organizations/ institutes that accept the IELTS test scores
IELTS Exam 2018 Selection Procedure
IELTS 2018 scores are valid for two years. However, the acceptance of the IELTS 2018 score will depend much on the IELTS selection procedure of the respective institute/university the candidate is applying for.
IELTS Exam Result 2018
The test results of IELTS 2018 will be made available after 13 days of taking the test. There is no concept of failing in the IELTS test, scores are calculated on a 9-band scale. Each educational institution and organization decide their cutoff band of IELTS result 2018 to meet their academic and professional requirements.
IELTS Exam Preparation Tips
An IELTS aspirant would only need IELTS practice into everyday routine. Reading favorite books in English, chatting with friends or even watching television can do wonders. As mentioned above IELTS proficiency exam tests a candidate’s overall English language skills. It is recommended to solve as many as practice IELTS test papers as possible and analyze the mistakes each time, rectify them, and move on.