About Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
“Advances in the technology of telecommunications have proved an unambiguous threat to totalitarian regimes everywhere.” ~Rupert Murdoch
Electronics Engineering is a branch of electrical engineering dealing with the design and application of circuitry and equipment. It is used for power generation and distribution, machine control, and communications. In this discipline, students learn basic electrical theory to design electronic circuits, computer systems and also develop control systems.
The Electronics Engineering course is very similar to the Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering course. They differ only in the sense that the latter has subjects focusing more on telecommunication engineering. Telecommunication Engineering is an important area of application for electronic circuits. Telecommunication engineers handle different types of technology that help us to communicate. They research, design, develop and manage satellite and cable systems, mobile phones, radio waves, the internet and e-mail. The work of these engineers also includes installation, supervision and maintenance of telephone exchanges and telephone lines.
With the evolution of the technology, Electronics and Telecommunication engineering is an emerging field of engineering. Electronics is now a part of our everyday life, from your pocket FM radio to televisions, computers, mobile phones and even the high-end satellites that are helping us in several ways.
The concept is to focus on the telecommunication part with the knowledge of the electronics field. Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering deals with the electronic devices, circuits, communication equipments like transmitter, receiver and integrated circuits (IC). It is a study of various principles and practical aspects related to the designing various telecommunication equipments.
Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering Career Path
|Diploma (Electronics/Electronics & Telecommunication/Telecommunication Engineering)|
|Entrance Exam||Polytechnic Diploma Entrance Exam (e.g. Delhi CET, TS POLYCET), Diploma Entrance Test (DET)|
|Average Course Fee||₹60,000 to ₹2,50,000|
|Goal||Junior Electronics/Telecommunication Engineer, Electronics Technician, Lateral Entry in B.Tech|
|B.E./B.Tech (Electronics/Electronics &Telecommunication/Telecommunication Engineering)|
|Eligibility||10+2 with PCM (Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics), Class XII candidates whose result is awaited can also apply, Some colleges have a criteria of specific minimum marks|
|Entrance Exam||JEE (Joint Entrance Exam) Main, JEE (Joint Entrance Exam) Advanced, UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination), COMEDK (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka) Undergraduate Entrance Test, SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam (SRMJEEE), KIITEE (Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology Entrance Examination), WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination), MHTCET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test) Apart from the above exams, some institutions conduct their own entrance tests.|
|Average Course Fee||₹4,00,000 to ₹12,00,000|
|Goal||Electronics Engineer, Telecommunication Engineer, RF (Radio Frequency) Engineer, Higher Studies|
|M.E./M.Tech (Electronics/Electronics &Telecommunication/Telecommunication Engineering)|
|Eligibility||B.E./B.Tech (Electronics & Telecommunication /Telecommunication/Electronics & Communication Engineering) with 55% to 60% marks, M.Sc. (Electronics) or its equivalent can also apply|
|Entrance Exam||GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering), TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test), AP Post Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test (AP PGECET) Apart from these, some institutions conduct their own entrance test.|
|Average Course Fee||₹50,000 to ₹6,00,000|
|Goal||Electronics Engineer, Telecom Engineer, RF/Broadcast Engineer, Project Manager, Teacher/Lecturer, Researcher/Research Assistant|
Colleges for Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- AMC College of Engineering, Bengaluru
- Amity University, Noida
- Army Institute of Technology, Pune
- Bangalore Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi
- Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Bengaluru
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bhubaneswar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi
- Institute of Professional Studies and Research (IPSR), Delhi
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Jawaharlal Nehru National College of Engineering, Shimoga
- K L University, Guntur
- Kalinga Polytechnic (KIIT Polytechnic), Bhubaneswar
- Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management & Engineering, Mumbai
- MVJ College of Engineering, Bengaluru
- National Institute of Electronics & Information Technology(NIELIT), Aizawl
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- Padmashree Dr. DY Patil Polytechnic, Navi Mumbai
- Sanford College of Information Technology, Bangalore
- Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University, Lucknow
- SRM University, Chennai
- St. Xavier’s Technical Institute, Mumbai
- The George Telegraph Training Institute, Kolkata
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
- Vishwakarma Institute of Technology, Pune
- Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belagavi
Top Colleges for Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
Scholarship / Fellowship in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Institute specific scholarships are awarded by IIT Delhi, Guwahati, Roorkee, BHU & Kharagpur.
- NCERT offers scholarships to engineering students through National Talent Search Examination (NTSE).
- Inspire Scholarship (Department of Science and Technology, Government of India) for dual degree (B.Tech & M.Tech) in engineering.
- Aditya Birla Scholarship for engineering students in IITs.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India – Central Sector Scholarship for ST students.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, Central Sector Scholarship for SC students.
- SEMCI INDIA conducts the Nationwide Education and Scholarship Test (NEST) for engineering students.
- Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for students having family income of less than Rs.6 lakhs per annum and wish to pursue higher education in Indian universities / colleges.
- Siemens Scholarship for 1st year engineering students in IITs and NITs.
- FAEA BHEL Scholarship for engineering students who are socially and economically weak.
- IET India Scholarship for 2nd and 3rd year engineering students.
- Google Anita Borg Scholarship for students pursuing studies in the field of Science (only for women.)
- Ministry of Minority Affairs, Govt. of India offers Merit cum Means Scholarship (MOMA Scholarship) to the engineering students belonging to the minority community who are not financially strong.
- Indian Oil awards IOCL Scholarship to the 1st year engineering students.
- ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited) and NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) Scholarship for SC / ST / PH engineering students.
Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering Key Skills
Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering Career Prospects
- Electronics Engineer
- Communication Engineer / Telecom Engineer
- Telecom Equipment Engineer
- Development and Test Engineer
- Electronic Design Engineer / Electronics Technician
- Wireless Communication Engineer
- RF Engineer, Broadcast Engineer and VOIP Engineer
- Electronics and Communication Specialist / Consultant
- Network Engineer / Network Planning Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Satellite Engineer
- Teacher / Lecturer
- Researcher / Research Assistant
- Aerospace Engineer
Jobs in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Telecommunications / Wireless Communication
- Mobile Companies
- Manufacturing Industries (e.g. Consumer electronics and telecom equipment industries)
- Core Electronics Firms
- Broadcasting Industry
- Road Traffic Informatics
- Satellite Communication
- Internet Service Providers
- Research and Development
- Educational Institutions
- Aviation and Avionics
- Indian Railways and Defense
- Airport Authority of India
- All India Radio and Television Industry
- Posts and Telegraph Department
- VLSI Design Companies
- IT / Computer Networking
- National Physical Laboratories
- Bharat Electronics Limited
Salary in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
Like in any other field the remuneration in this field depends on qualification, experience and area in which one works. One could get an initial pay of ₹15,000 to ₹35,000 per month.
Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering Role Models
Hedy Lamarr– Invented Spread Spectrum Technology on which Wi-Fi and CDMA are based
Marchese Guglielmo Marconi
Marchese Guglielmo Marconi – Telecommunication Engineer, pioneered radio frequency telecommunications and is often credited as the Inventor of Radio and Noble Prize awardee for Physics
Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Vijay Shekhar Sharma– Founder, mobile payments company, Paytm
Vinod Dham– Titled as “Father of the Pentium Chip”