About Graphic Designing
“What separates design from art is that design is meant to be… functional.” ― Cameron Moll
Designing is a highly developed field that requires trained people who are creatively innovative and artistic. There are many specialties that fall under the umbrella of the design industry. If you’re looking for an opportunity to combine your love of technology with your passion for design, you’ll probably find yourself faced with a tough choice: Graphic design versus Web design.
Graphic designers use text and images to communicate information and ideas. They do not do any programming.
Graphic Designing Career Path
|Duration||Certificate Courses: 6 months-1 year, Diploma Courses: 1-2 years, Bachelor Courses: 3-4 years, Master Courses: 2-3 years|
|Eligibility||10+2/Graduation (any discipline)|
|Entrance Exam||Different colleges/institutes have different criterion|
|Average Course Fee||INR 25,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Goal||Graphic Designer, Logo Designer, Layout Editor|
Colleges for Graphic Designing
- Department of Design (DOD), Guwahati
- Frameboxx Animation, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
- Indian School of Design and Innovation, Mumbai
- Industrial Design Centre IIT, Bombay
- National Institute of Design(NID), Ahmedabad
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi
- Srishti School of Art Design and Technology, Bengaluru
- Srishti School of Art Design and Technology, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
Top Colleges for Graphic Designing
Scholarship / Fellowship in Graphic Designing
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad awards scholarship to the needy and deserving students with the support of Ford Foundation and Government of India.
- The MIT Institute of Design grants full or partial scholarships to 5% of the total students each year.
- P.A. Inamdar College of Visual Effects, Design & Arts (VEDA), Pune offers scholarship as well.
- ARCH Academy of Design have its own scholarship scheme.
- Technical Education Society (TGC), New Delhi an ISO certified company offers scholarship program for talented and economically challenged students who are extremely passionate about Art and Design.
Graphic Designing Key Skills
Graphic Designing Career Prospects
- Graphic Designer
- Art Worker
- Design Consultant
- Creative Director
- Layout Editor for magazines
- Visual Designer
Jobs in Graphic Designing
- Advertising Agencies
- Audio-Visual Media Agencies
- Electronic and Print Media
- Publishing Firms
- IT Companies
- Marketing Firms
- Design Studios
- Educational Industry
- Web Designing Company
- Retail and FMCG Sector- Packaging (only for graphics designer)
Salary in Graphic Designing
The pay package is normally 10,000 INR – 25,000 INR per month which gets increased on the basis of experience.
Graphic Designing Role Models
Akshar Pathak is a 24-year-old graphic designer who made it big, Bollywood style. A brand associate for Zomato by profession, he spends his spare time making minimalist Bollywood posters. A project which has over 72,565 likes on Facebook and 1,059,415 hits on its website. He even worked on a poster for Mira Nair’s The Reluctant Fundamentalist and Salaam Bombay! But that’s not all, if you’re lucky, he might make a poster out of your tweet, for his second project, the “Tweetard.” His quirky sense of humour and out-of-the- box thinking definitely reflects in his work.