About Industrial/Organizational Psychology
“One cannot find a healthy economy anywhere in the world that does not have a strong industrial base, period.” ~William Clay Ford Jr.
This branch of psychology is the study of the workplace environment, organizations, and their employees. The specialty of industrial-organizational psychology (also called I/O psychology) is characterized by the scientific study of human behavior in organizations and the work place. The specialty focuses on deriving principles of individual, group and organizational behavior and applying this knowledge to the solution of problems at work.
Industrial/Organizational Psychology Career Path
|M.A./M.Sc. (Psychology/Industrial-Organizational Psychology/Applied Psychology with specialization in Industrial-Organizational Psychology)|
|Eligibility||Graduation in Psychology|
|Entrance Exam||Every institution/college conduct their own entrance tests. Some of them take direct admissions on merit basis.|
|Average Course Fee||₹10,000 to ₹2,00,000|
|Goal||Industrial/Organizational Psychologist, HR executive, Consultant, Lecturer, Higher Studies|
Colleges for Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Amity University, Noida
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
- Awadhesh Pratap Singh University, Rewa
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Christ University, Bengaluru
- Delhi University (DU), New Delhi
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology, Hisar
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
- Mahatma Gandhi Vidyamandir, Nashik
- Pondicherry University, Puducherry
- Rai University, Ahmedabad
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
- SNDT Women's University, Mumbai
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar
Top Colleges for Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Scholarship / Fellowship in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Programme
- HDFC Educational Crisis Scholarship Support
- Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child
- Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders
- Saryu Doshi Post Graduate Fellowships
- NCERT Doctoral Fellowships
Industrial/Organizational Psychology Key Skills
Industrial/Organizational Psychology Career Prospects
- Industrial / Organizational Psychologists
- HR / Industrial Counselor / Consumer Psychologist
- Consultant / Trainer
- Professor / Lecturer
Jobs in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Corporate Sector
- Industrial Set-ups / Factories / Plants / Business
- Counseling Centers / Employment and Staffing Agencies / Consultancy
- NGOs / Government Agencies
- Research Establishments
- Academic Establishments
- Advertising / Healthcare Industry
Salary in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Like in any other field the remuneration in this field depends on qualification, experience and area in which one works. One could get an initial pay of ₹10,000 to ₹15,000 per month.
Industrial/Organizational Psychology Role Models
Maya Shankar– Senior White House policy advisor. She uses her behavioral science expertise to influence federal programs and policies.
Stanley Silverman– He devised a new measure of arrogance called “Workplace Arrogance Scale,” which is used to determine whether managers possess arrogant tendencies. His area of expertise is the effect that arrogant bosses have on a workplace.
Anita Woolley– Assistant Professor of organizational behavior at Carnegie Mellon University. The concept of “collective intelligence” is the focus of Dr. Woolley’s research.
Nancy Tippins– Former President of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology and is a recipient of the society’s Distinguished Service Award.