About Jewelry Designing
“Jewelry is the most transformative thing you can wear.” ― Iris Apfel
Jewelry design is the art or profession of designing and creating jewellery. Jewelry designers work with precious metals, diamonds, beads and gemstones to create wearable pieces of art. A jewellery designer may create one-of-a-kind pieces for high-end jewelers or an entire line for a mass-market. You will also have an option to specialize in Gemology which will deal with identification and grading of precious diamonds and stones.
Turn your creativity into dazzling piece of jewelry with the Jewelry Designing course.
Jewelry Designing Career Path
|Bachelor of Design (B.Des.)- Jewelry/Accessory Design|
|Entrance Exam||NIFT Entrance Exam, NID Entrance Exam, All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED)|
|Average Course Fee||INR 25,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Goal||Jewelry/Accessory Designer, Gemologist, Jewelry Business and Teacher|
Colleges for Jewelry Designing
- Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council, Jaipur
- Gemmological Institute of India, Mumbai
- GIA India, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Gems and Jewellery (IIGJ), New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Jewellery(IIJ), Mumbai
- International Gemological Institute (IGI), Delhi
- International Gemological Institute (IGI), Mumbai
- International Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
- Jewellery Design and Technology Institute (JDTI), Noida
- National Institute of Design(NID), Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi
- Pearl Academy, Mumbai
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi
- Shreeji Rajendra Diamond Classes (SRDC), Delhi
- Shreeji Rajendra Diamond Classes (SRDC), Mumbai
- SNDT Women's University, Mumbai
- Unitedworld Institute of Design (UID), Ahmedabad
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Karnataka
Top Colleges for Jewelry Designing
Scholarship / Fellowship in Jewelry Designing
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad awards scholarship to the needy and deserving students with the support of Ford Foundation and Government of India.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi awards scholarship to the needy and deserving students. Scholarships are also available for persons with disabilities.
- Gemological Institute of America (GIA), India offers scholarships for its gemology and jewelry design programs.
- ARCH Academy of Design has its own scholarship scheme.
- Shreeji Rajendra Diamond Classes (SRDC) scholarship - India is the gateway for education in gems, diamonds & jewelry Industry in real sense.
Jewelry Designing Key Skills
Jewelry Designing Career Prospects
- Jewelry Designer
- Jewelry Manufacturer
- Jewelry Merchandiser
- Fashion Jeweler
- Production Manager
- Jewelry Setter
- Freelancer / Entrepreneur
- Jewelry Historian
- Gemstone Buyer / Jeweler
- Gemstone Designer / appraiser
Jobs in Jewelry Designing
- Jewelry Houses / Jewelry Making and Designing Units
- Renowned Jewelry brands such as Tanishq, Swarovski etc.
- Own Venture / Self-Employed
- Antique Houses, Art Auction Houses and Museums
- Jewelry Shops and Showrooms
- Top notch goldsmiths
- Export house / Fashion House
- Gem Retailing / Wholesaling
- Educational Institutions
- Cultural and Art Jobs
- Jewelry Manufacturing and Production Unit
Salary in Jewelry Designing
As a fresher, the starting package ranges between 10,000 INR – 20,000 INR per month. After two to three years, one may earn up to 30,000 INR or more.
Jewelry Designing Role Models
Suhani Pittie – is an Indian jewellery designer based in Hyderabad, India. A graduate of Gemological Institute of America, USA, she launched her own jewellery label in 2004. The World Gold Council has enlisted Suhani as one of the top 10 most inventive and ingenious jewellery designers in the world. Suhani Pittie was the first Indian jewellery designer to be selected to showcase at the Miami Fashion Week; subsequently she received an order from the Museum of Arts and Design, New York.
Varuna D Jani
Varuna D Jani – Recognised as “Best Jewelry Designer” by the Indian Bullion and Jewellers Association. She launched her own brand Varuna D Jani with a flagship store in Bandra, Mumbai in 2008 with a vision to create jewellery for Indian women that would reflect their individuality that is steeped in European sensibility and classic finishes. She was the first Adornologist to set up a brand in India that created jewellery for each client and do not believe that women need to settle when it comes to their jewellery. She believe that each woman needs to be treasured and that she deserves a piece that she can call her own and that is curated specially for her.
Dr. Satarupa Bhattacharjee Kapoor
Dr. Satarupa Bhattacharjee Kapoor, a Gemologist in the Saraswati Jyotish Research Centre. She did her Ph. D. in Geology and is a certified gemologist. She has an excellent ability to categorize Gem stones. She is famous for her ability to recommend gems and its noteworthy effect. She suggests gemstone based on zodiac, birth details and also as per the requirement. Dr. Satarupa Bhattacharjee Kapoor also recommends gemstone / gem therapy based on ‘Chakra’ of a human body which facilitates in having better health, career, wealth and peace. Gems therapy also helps in developing personality w.r.t, communication, intellect, confidence, intuition, memory etc. Dr. Satarupa advice gems specific to birthdays & anniversaries too. Other than gemstone recommendation and gems therapy she also provides consultancy on overall purpose of gems, what should be worn, how it will be beneficial and also check the authenticity of the gemstone. She also provides a comprehend report on suggested gemstone covering all the aspects based on person’s zodiac and birth details.