About Mining Engineering
“Genius is the gold in the mine; talent is the miner who works and brings it out.” ~Marguerite Blessington
Mining is a vast field that deals with identification, extraction, production and processing of valuable minerals like coal, petroleum, metallic and non-metallic minerals, from natural reserves without causing any harm to the surroundings where the extraction activity takes place.
Mining engineers design safe and efficient mines for removing coal and metals. Mining engineers optimize mines for removing natural resources in the most efficient manner possible. They ensure to extract as much resource as possible. Mining engineers often specialize in a particular mineral or metal, such as iron or coal. They also assess the geological characteristics of mining sites and determine the structures, equipment and processes to be used at a particular operation and collaborate with geologists to find and evaluate new ore deposits.
Mining Engineering Career Path
|Diploma (Mining Engineering/Mining and Mine Surveying)|
|Eligibility||High School/Intermediate/ITI, Some colleges have a criteria of specific minimum marks|
|Entrance Exam||Polytechnic Diploma Entrance Exam (e.g. Delhi CET, TS POLYCET), Haryana Diploma Entrance Test|
|Average Course Fee||₹60,000 to ₹2,50,000|
|Goal||Junior Mining Engineer, Mining Engineer Technician, Lateral Entry in B.Tech|
|B.Tech/B.E. (Mining Engineering/Mining Machinery Engineering)|
|Eligibility||10+2 with PCM (Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics), The minimum marks required will depend on the college, Class XII candidates with result awaited can also apply|
|Entrance Exam||JEE (Joint Entrance Exam) Main, JEE Advanced, IIT ISM (Indian School of Mines) Dhanbad Entrance Exam, UPESEAT (University of Petroleum & Energy Engineering Aptitude Test), Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (JCECE), UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination), COMEDK (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka) Undergraduate Entrance Test, WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination), MHTCET (Maharashtra Health and Technical Common Entrance Test), Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions (TNEA) Apart from the above exams, some institutions conduct their own entrance test|
|Average Course Fee||INR 2,00,000 to INR 13,00,000|
|Goal||Mining Engineer, Mine Planner|
|M.Tech/M.E. (Mining Engineering/Mining Machinery Engineering/Rock Engineering and Underground Structures/Tunneling & Underground Space Technology/Excavation Engineering/Geomatics/Water Resources Engineering)|
|Eligibility||B.Tech (Mining Engineering/Civil Engineering/Environmental Engineering/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent) with 55% to 60% marks, M.Sc. (Geology/Applied Geology/Earth Science) can also apply|
|Entrance Exam||GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering), TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test)|
|Specialization||Rock Mechanics/Rock Excavation Engineering/Rock Excavation Technology & Management, Mine Planning/Mine Planning & Design, Mine Environment, Opencast Mining, Mine Mechanization|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Goal||Mining Engineer, Research Scientist, Lecturer|
Colleges for Mining Engineering
- AKS University, M.P
- Anna University, Coimbatore
- C. V. Raman College of Engineering, Bhubaneshwar
- Ganpat University, Gujarat
- Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad
- Hindustan Institute of Marine Training (HIMT), Chennai
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST), Shibpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines), Dhanbad
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi
- Indian Maritime University (IMU), Chennai
- International Maritime Academy, Chennai
- Kunjali Marakkar School of Marine Engineering, Cochin University, Kochi
- Mangalore Marine College and Technology, Killenjaru
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Kolkata
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Mumbai
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Mumbai
- Singhania University, Rajasthan
- Tolani Maritime Institute, Pune
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur
Top Colleges for Mining Engineering
Scholarship / Fellowship in Mining Engineering
- Institute specific scholarships are awarded by IIT– Kharagpur, BHU (Varanasi), & Delhi.
- Different institutions / colleges award scholarships to deserving students. The scholarship criteria vary from one institute to another.
- ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited) and NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) Scholarship for SC / ST / PH engineering students.
- Aditya Birla Scholarship for engineering students in IITs.
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Fellowships
- NCERT offers scholarships to engineering students through National Talent Search Examination (NTSE).
- All India Scholarship Entrance Examination (AISEE)
- SEMCI INDIA conducts the Nationwide Education and Scholarship Test (NEST) for engineering students.
- Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarships
- FAEA BHEL Scholarship for engineering students who are socially and economically weak.
- IET India Scholarship for 2nd and 3rd year engineering students.
- Google Anita Borg Scholarship for students pursuing studies in the field of Science (only for women)
- Ministry of Human Resource Development offers external scholarships in the engineering field.
- Ministry of Minority Affairs, Govt. of India offers Merit cum Means Scholarship (MOMA Scholarship) to the engineering students belonging to the minority community who are not financially strong.
- Indian Oil awards IOCL Scholarship to the 1st year engineering students.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India– Central Sector Scholarship for ST students.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, Central Sector Scholarship for SC students.
Mining Engineering Key Skills
Mining Engineering Career Prospects
- Mining Engineer
- Mine Designer / Mine Planner
- Safety Engineer
- Mining Investment Analyst
- Mining Engineering Technician
- Consultant- Mining Industries
- Petroleum Engineer
- Research Scientist
- Professor / Lecturer
- Geotechnical Engineer / Geo-Environmental Engineer
- Geologist / Hydrogeologist
- Geological Advisor
Jobs in Mining Engineering
- Government Departments like Indian Bureau of Mines, Geological Survey of India (GSI), National Mining and Development Corporation (NMDC), Directorate General of Mines Safety, Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), ONGC, Coal India Ltd., NALCO, TELCO
- Mines / Steel Plants / Cement Plants / State Mining Corporations
- Research and Development Organizations
- Environmental Firms
- Construction Industries
- Hazardous Waste Disposal Industry
- Universities / Colleges
- Petroleum Industry / Mineral Investigation / Oil Exploration / Resource Management
- Hydrogeological Surveys / Hydro-operations / Organizations involved with groundwater projects
Salary in Mining Engineering
Like in any other field the remuneration in this field depends on qualification, experience and area in which one works. One could get an initial pay of ₹15,000 to ₹45,000 per month.
Mining Engineering Role Models
Dr. Chandrani Prasad Verma
Dr. Chandrani Prasad Verma– She is India’s first female mining engineer. She had been honored by “HIRKANI AWARD” on 15th Dec 2006 for becoming “First lady Mining Engineer of the Country” by D.D Sahyadri team at Mumbai. She received CSIR Technology Award as Team member under the category of Physical Sciences including Engineering for “Developing the technology for extraction design of locked-up coal by Highwall Mining in India”
N G Nair
N G Nair – He is a mining engineer and Mining Consultant India on Indian Mining Legislation. He received Manager's First Class Certificate of Competency to Manage a Metalliferous Mines (Under Metalliferous Mines Regulations 1961)- Un-Restricted, Director General of Mines Safety Dhanbad. He had worked for mining companies like Hindustan Zinc Limited, Hindustan Copper Limited, Bharat Gold Mines Limited, Kolar Gold Fields, Rajasthan State Mineral Development Corporation, Rajasthan State Industrial & Mineral Development Corporation, Khetri Copper Complex, Malanjkhand Copper Project etc. and has 30+ years experience in Metalliferous Mines in India.