Hi, I am Rajasthan. I have completed B.tech from Rajasthan University. Now,I am preparing for SSC CGL exam.I wanted to know the method of increasing my calculation speed . Suggest some tips.
Quantitative aptitude plays a very important role in SSC CGL exam. In order to score well in this section, you need to be very clear about the basic concepts in mathematics. The question paper includes 25 quant questions. Before you begin your preparation, make sure you are well aware of the syllabus.
Mark the chapters and topics on the basis of their difficulty level.
Chapters like interest, simplification, percentage, average, ratio and proportion and age related problems are relatively easier.
Topics like speed, time and distance, number series, profit and loss, mesuration, data interpretation and number system may require more time and efforts. However, with regular practice you can manage these topics with ease.
Geometry, trigonometry, algebra and time and work are comparatively difficult. Start your preparation well in advance so that you have ample time to dedicate to each topic.
It is vital to have a good calculation speed to make sure you complete all the questions within the given time limit. Few basic tips to help you speed up your calculation are:
- Learn your tables. You should be very thorough with multiplication tables at least till 20.
- There are a number of calculation shortcuts which can speed up your calculation. A little research will help you find reliable calculation shortcuts.
- Make a list of all the formulas and revise them regularly.
- Use a good reference book. Here are a few books you may use for your preparation:
-Fast Track Object Arithmetic-Rajesh Verma
-Advanced Maths for General Competitions by Rakesh Yadav
-Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations-R.S. Aggarwal
-Quicker Mathematics –M Tyra
- Practice previous years question papers and mock tests. Time yourself while solving the papers.
- The more you practice, the better you’ll get!
Hope this helps. All the best.