I have a son who is going to complete his 12th standard. For his good career I want him to study B.tech computer science. He hasn’t given his entrance exams yet. I am researching for top engineering colleges in India, so that he can check the cutoff marks needed for the top colleges and prepare his best for those colleges. can you please list out the best engineering colleges in India.
- subhash asked 1 year ago
Eligibility Criteria and admission process for Computer Science Engineering (CSE)
Someone who wants to seek admission in B Tech computer science engineering he should have passed the 12th exam from a recognized state or CBSE with physics, chemistry and mathematics as core subjects. The minimum pass percentage for general category remains 45% as of 2017, whereas for candidates who belong to reserved categories can take the course with 40% marks in aggregate. For candidates appearing for higher secondary exams (results awaited) are also liable to appear in various common entrance tests that colleges and universities conduct from time to time.
Students who want to get admission in B Tech computer science engineering course in any reputed college or university can do so by cracking the common entrance exams.
Core Skills Involved in CSE
- Software planning and design
- Software examining
- Software administration
- Solutions formation
- Algorithm structure
- Algorithm layout
- Machine theory
- Data structure
- Computation theory
Common Entrance Test:
The most common, known and forestanding tests that aspirants need to crack to get admission in B Tech degree course include JEE Advanced, JEE Main, SRMJEEE, and VITEEE. Each test certainly has sections dedicated to Physics, Chemistry, and Math, irrespective of the different patterns for setting question papers or taking exams.
Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main –
For admission in B.Tech Computer Engineering, the Scores in JEE Main open a window to many top ranking institutes in India which includes Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs) like, Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and National Institute of Technology (NITs). Some Other premier institutes included in the list are BIT Mesra, NSIT, MNNIT, IIIT, NIT W, NIT Rourkela, NIT Trichy, TU Patiala and NITK and many others.
Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Advanced –
Conducted by IITs, Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Advanced is a very tough exam to beat. The score in this test is accepted by Indian School of Mines (ISM) and all the IITs.
SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam (SRMJEEE) –
There are four campuses of SRM University located alone in NCR Ghaziabad, Kattankulathur, Ramapuram and Ramapuam Vadapalani, to offer seats for B.Tech Computer Science Engineering course. The admission is based on the candidates’ performance in SRMJEEE.
Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE) –
To get a seat in Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) student face a cut-throat competition in clearing the exam with flying colors.
Counselling and College Allocation
After a candidate clears the test and finds him in the cut-off list he will receive a call for counseling from respective colleges and universities. At the time of counseling, the college or university authorities will check a student’s preferences, likings, the area of specialization, and interests along with other factors needed to allocate seats. Sometimes, it is seen, colleges and universities allocate seats without Personal Interview round.
The top computer science (CS) or computer systems engineering (CSE) colleges or institutes that specifically deserve mention here are-
- IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi (Theoretical Computer Science)
- IIT Mumbai (Databases and Information Systems in general)
- IIT Chennai (Networked Systems and Distributed computing)
- IIIT Hyderabad (NLP, strong industry focus)
- IIT Kharagpur, IIT Roorkee, BITS Pilani, IIIT Allahabad and IIIT Hyderabad also have appreciable undergrad programmes and research focus
- NIT Trichy, NSIT Delhi also have a strong computer science track record
Here are some 20 top Institutes for Engineering-
Private(Private Institute)/Govt(Government Institute)
- IIT, Delhi (Govt)
- IIT, Bombay (Govt)
- IIT, Kharagpur (Govt)
- IIT, Kanpur (Govt)
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science (Private)
- NIT, Karnataka (Gov.)
- College of Engineering, Guindy (Govt)
- Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (Govt)
- VIT University (Private)
- College of Engineering, Pune (Govt)
- IIIT, Hyderabad (Private)
- IIIT, Allahabad (Govt)
- Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines), Dhanbad (Govt)
- Delhi Technological University (Govt)
- Manipal Institue Of Technology (Private)
- University Institute of Engineering, Chandigarh University (Private)
- PSG College of Technology (Private)
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (Govt)
- Thapar University (Private)
- S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology (Private)
You may also find these articles helpful-
We hope very best for your son!