Hello, My name is Aman. I have done B.A in Hindi in 2016. At present, I am preparing for IAS. I perform well in other subjects and only lack in English. I want to improve my English vocabulary and grammar. Which books are good for clearing the basics ?. Please suggest me some good English books.
- Aman Tiwari asked 11 months ago
The three main things you need to do in order to improve your English are reading, listening and writing. Make it a habit to read newspaper (preferable a popular English daily like The Times of India or The Hindu) at least for an hour every day. You may also subscribe to English magazines like Outlook or Frontline. Watch English news channels, movies and TV series. Practice writing at least one short paragraph every day.
Although these tips will help you improve your vocabulary and speaking power, you need to put in a little more efforts for understanding the fundamentals of the subject.
Few books which can help you in your preparation for civil services exam:
- English Grammar & composition – Wren & Martin
- CSAT – R. Gupta’s
- Grammar & Comprehension – Pal & Suri
- CSAT – G. K. Publication
- Basic English usage – Michael Swan
- Practical English usage –Michael Swan
- Word Power Made Easy-Norman Lewis
- Raymond Murphy or Martin Hewings
- Objective General English for all competitive exams: Arihant Publication
Hope that helps. All the best!