GATE or The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a computer-based exam (online mode). The exam is jointly conducted by the IIS (Indian Institute of Science) and seven IITs (Indian Institutes of Technologies) at Roorkee, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Chennai (Madras) and Bombay on behalf of the National Coordination Board-GATE.
It primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in engineering or science.
GATE is one of the most competitive examinations in India. It is also recognized by various foreign institutes like Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. It is regulated by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Exam Pattern GATE 2018
It would be a computer-based exam with the duration of three hours, comprising 65 questions. In 2017, IIT Roorkee hosted GATE in the online mode for 23 papers.
Get the application form and previous years question papers for a solid GATE Preparation
The GATE Scores
The GATE scores of candidates reflect their relative performance level. The score is used for admissions to various post-graduate education programs (e.g. Master of Engineering, Master of Technology, Doctor of Philosophy) in Indian higher education institutes. The financial assistance is also provided by MHRD and other government agencies.
Recently, GATE scores are also being used by several Indian public sector undertakings (i.e., government-owned companies) for the recruitment of graduate engineers in entry-level positions.
Get some Useful Tips to Ace the GATE 2018
Those candidates who want to appear for the GATE exam should:
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Technology or Architecture (4 years after 10+2/ Post-B.Sc. or Post-Diploma) and those who are in the final year of the said programs.
- Hold a Master’s Degree in any branch of Science or Mathematics or Statistics or Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of the said programs.
- Be in the second or higher year of Four-year integrated master’s degree programs (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering or Technology.
- Be in the fourth or higher year of Five-year integrated master’s degree programs or Dual Degree programs in Engineering or Technology.
- Be with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC or AICTE (e.g. AMIE by iE(i), AMICE(i) by the Institute of Civil Engineers (India)-iCE(i)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech.
Candidates who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible for the exam.
Age Limit: There is no age limit criterion defined by the exam conducting authority to appear in GATE
There is an exponential rise in the number of engineering graduates wishing to get a PSU job. The PSUs have now decided to make GATE score the primary criteria for initial shortlisting. After Indian Oil Corporation, the other PSUs like National Thermal Power Corporation, Bharat Heavy Electricals, Bharat Electronics & PowerGrid Corporation of India also successfully tested out GATe. These companies or corporations usually release their recruitment notifications just after the GATE notification.
|Exam Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Questions Asked||65|
|Question Types||Two types of questions asked:|
|Sections||The question paper will be divided into three sections:|
Note: In General Aptitude each paper will include a compulsory General Aptitude (GA) section comprising 10 questions. 5 of which will carry 1-mark each, while the remaining 5 will each carry 2 marks, for a total of 15 marks.
Some more companies that have opened their gates to GATE
Here are some of the companies that have signed Memorandums of Understanding (MoU) with the GATE organizing committee, to use GATE score as a screening tool for recruiting engineers at entry-level positions.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- National Hydroelectric Power Corporation Ltd.
- Mazagon Dock Ltd.
- Gujarat State Electricity Corporation Ltd.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
- Bharat Broadband Network Limited
- Bank Note Paper Mill India Pvt. Ltd.
- National Highways Authority of India
The GATE exam syllabus and its preparation remain the same, whether one is applying for a job at a PSU or seeking admission for the post-graduate level course in engineering.
Be quick and Download FREE GATE(Physics) Mock Test, Paper