Counselling is the last leg of the long drawn battle of writing, qualifying and obtaining a satisfactory rank in JEE Advanced 2017. Here are the major steps involved in the counselling process for JEE Advanced 2017.
The various steps in detail are given below.
- Register for JEE Advanced counselling.
Eligible students (that is, those who have qualified JEE Advanced within the cut-off marks for their respective categories) can register online for filling up their institution and course choices after the results have been announced for JEE Advanced 2017, using their credentials on the JOSAA website.
- Filling in choices and locking them.
Candidates, if they require a seat in an institution that accepts JEE Advanced ranks, must fill up their choices of course, branch and institution from the available list as per their preference. These choices can be edited as many times as they choose up until June 24th, after which the choices they have made will be locked automatically if not done by then. The candidates can choose as many courses as they like in whatever order until the deadline.
- Seat allotment on the basis of AIRs.
The seat allotment will be done solely on the basis of the All India Rank or category rank of the candidates, and will take into consideration the student’s choice of course and institute.
- Reporting to allocated college.
A candidate, upon allocation of a seat, should report as soon as possible to the nearest zonal IIT, and be present there in person for document verification and fee payment process. The documents required are detailed below (one attested copy and original of each of these documents are essential for registration).
- Printout of the seat allotment letter from JOSAA portal.
- Original admit card of JEE Advanced
- Duly filled application form from the Information Brochure (annexure 1).
- Duly filled medical examination report from Information Brochure (annexure 2).
- Proof of date of birth (Class X certificate or Birth Certificate).
- Mark sheet and certificate of passing of class XII or qualifying examination.
- Category certificate for OBC-NCL, SC, ST, PwD and DS candidates in the prescribed form as mentioned in the various annexure of the Information Brochure.
- For foreign nationals, an attested copy of the Passport with the name, photo and nationality.
- Registration fee paid in the form of a demand draft of the requisite amount (different amounts for different categories) drawn in the favour of the Organizing Chairman, JEE (Advanced)-2017, payable at New Delhi. This will be automatically adjusted against the tuition fee of each institute which has to be paid at the time of admission to the institute.
Candidates who fail to report to their respective zonal IIT before the specified deadline will not be considered for seat allotment and their seats will be forfeited. In case of an upgradation of seats offered, the seat allocated to them previously must be forfeited to accept the upgraded seat.
- Once the documents are verified and the tuition fee is paid, the institutes will issue a final allotment letter to the candidates are they will be granted provisional admission. In the event the candidate fails to meet other eligibility criteria or found to be faking any of the records declared to be true, their admission will be deemed cancelled, with immediate effect.
Institutes that offer admission for their courses on the basis of the JEE Advanced 2017 results have separate admission to their courses, which may not be a part of the centralized counselling process of JEE Advanced 2017. These names have been announced tentatively in the information brochure, and the final list will be published on the official exam website at a later point in time and the interested candidates will have to contact these institutes directly for admission related queries to their courses.