For verbal ability:
- Best book for Vocabulary- Word Power Made Easy, Norman Lewis
- Best book for practicing verbal ability (MBA)- How to prepare for verbal ability and reading comprehension.(preferably 7th edition )
- For normal job purposes (easier than CAT level)- Verbal and non-verbal Reasoning by R.S. Agarwala.
Apart from the above mentioned books, you have to read any good newspaper(eg-The Economist or Hindu) daily. Mark the words that you don’t understand and memorize there meanings! This would help a lot!
If you are not from a English medium background then start reading easier newspapers( The times of india etc.) And then gradually move towards the tougher ones as i mentioned above.
At the beginning it might be difficult but meanwhile it would be like a cake-walk!
For spoken English, you HAVE to participate in debate, extempore, GDs, i think this would help you. Else you can join some personality development classes for better results ?
Also watch movies and series!! Watch F.R.I.E.N.D.S series. That would be blessings in disguise! 😉
This URL has covered almost all the major and minor steps you should take to improve english:
Let me know if you are facing any problem in any particular part in English (for example grammar, written, spoken, vocab etc) so I can point you to necessary link. I will also try to get some free material for you so you can download and study.
having a good command over English language is very necessary today, its good that you are making effort in this direction. Here are some points that might help you further
- Reading : This is something that will help you the most. Read and read and read and read a lot. Try novels, magazines, newspapers, anything.. any topic that interests you. This will improve your grammar and your vocabulary.
- Watch english shows : Watch some english series, movies or news. I know this might sound a bit silly but trust me it helps. you get to know to speak properly, correct use of phrases, etc. Use headphones, they help even more.
- Converse Daily : Try and make friends and interact will people with good communication skills.
- Dipti Soni answered 6 months ago