I’m currently studying ECE in NITK Surathkal, which in my opinion has one of the best departments in the country for ECE. In my honest opinion, ECE is perhaps the most diverse engineering branch, along with mechanical engineering. The possibilities are endless (or analog, as a tronix enthusiast would say). On the hardcore ECE side, several popular specializations include:
- Digital Signal Processing: You’ll be dealing with how to transmit signals over wide distances with minimal information loss, and how to process these signals to extract some relevant information
- Control System Design: a control system is self explanatory(a system that controls something). This area deals with stability analysis using Laplace Transforms and tools like Bode Plots.
- Embedded Systems: embedded systems is a very vast area. Usually it involves the use of controllers(Arduino/ATmega328 and MSP430 to name a few) and analog circuitry, such as sensors, actuators, and output devices (LEDs, motors, etc.) to build an application. The possibilities here are literally endless, and this is the ultimate DIY heaven for people who love technology
- Communication Networks: This mainly deals with utilization of the frequency spectrum, and how we can produce long range signal amplification with minimum noise
- Radiating Systems: This deals with the design of the antennas and tools used for communication. Its basics stem from basic 12th standard electromagnetics and Maxwell’s Laws
- Digital System Design: use tools like VHDL and verilog to develop digital logic circuits, and design more complicated integrated circuits
Along with these core ECE fields, there is also a strong link with IT and Computer Science fields, such as
- Microprocessor Design: design of chips using the popular ARM (in 95% of the world’s smartphones) chips or Intel’s x86 (the most popular CISC processor, used in most high end applications such as laptops and desktops)
- Web Development: while this is a core IT field, I myself have found great interest here, so you may as well! This involves design of front end web pages (client side), and back end servers (server side)
- App Development: Another hardcore IT field, you may find yourself interested in various Java libraries to develop a cool app!
- Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA): an analysis and study of order of growth of algorithms. How do we make highly efficient algorithms that use minimum space/memory and take the least time to execute? You can learn it here. This is quite possibly the most desired course in the IT industry, as it is required EVERYWHERE. This is a must for anyone wanting to get into the IT sphere
I hope this answered your doubt! Feel free to ask any more questions if you have them.
Electronics engineering is a very fruitful branch with full of opportunities!ECE has job openings & good pay-packages as compared to other branches!
- Consumer electronics manufacturing organization , Telecomm. & IT industries, Health care equipment manufacturing , Mobile communication (2G,3G,4G) and other industries like steel ,chemical industry, directing control and testing production process.
- Electrical Technicians and technologists can specialize in – technical sales, product representation, systems management, the design and manufacture of electronic devices and systems, or the installation, maintenance and repair of electronic systems.
- Computers and electronic equipment in the medical, industrial control, telecommunications, aeronautical and military fields.
- Acquired by top recruiters like DMRC, Siemens, Motorola, Intel, BEL, ISRO, DRDO, Accenture, HCL Technologies, NVidia, Samsung, Tech Mahindra, Infosys, TCS, BSNL, Indian Air force, Navy, Railways, BSNL and Philips Electronics.
Apart from this, ECE students can sit in MOSTLY ALL companies including IT companies.
Also GATE can help you with M-tech 🙂
Students in the ECE Graduate Program can study a variety of specialized fields within electrical and computer engineering. Various such fields include:
Integrated circuits, communications, computer engineering, control, electromagnetics and remote sensing, microelectronics and quantum electronics, power and energy systems, signal processing, computational science and engineering options.
One can choose any from these if they are interested in doing specialization in ece.