MBA entrance exams and selection process is a hurdle for many aspiring managers. MBA exams and management courses are the crazes for many aspirants after graduation. Many aspirants select MBA because they provide high salary packages after the completion of course. There are various business schools and IIMs who conduct an entrance test and a selection process. Candidates have to clear the entrance exam and the selection process to grab a seat in their preferred business school and IIMs. The main motive of this article is to guide candidates about one of the most crucial concepts during the selection process which is known as Group Discussion (GD).
Group discussion is a fundamental part of the selection process to pursue management courses in business schools. Group discussion is not only crucial in the MBA, but it also plays a significant role in various SSB and government jobs recruitment. This exercise carries an outstanding amount of weightage during the selection process. In GD candidates must share their thoughts without any nervousness and must listen to others. Group of candidates is allocated with a topic, and they must show their skills to the examiners. But any candidate who is not mentally prepared and confused about the topic, he/she will ruin the whole selection process. Now, many business schools and IIMs have replaced the group discussion with written ability test from the past few years. But still, group discussion is conducted in many schools such as Xavier school of management (XLRI), Faculty of management studies (FMS), etc.
Topics of Group Discussion for the MBA Selection Process
Group discussion topics frequently change, but mainly the concept is similar, the officials mostly play tactics with candidates to check their skills. Some essential group discussion topics helpful for candidates which are business and economy, current affairs, abstract topics, and social issues.
Colleges which are conducting group discussion in 2019
There are still many business schools who are not conducting WAT and dependent on group discussion during the selection process. Business schools (including IIMs) which will conduct group discussion in MBA are as follows:
A Detailed Overview of Group Discussion (GD) Topics
The GD concepts change frequently in a few years due to growth in the economy and industrial sectors. But there are mainly four topics which comprise in the group discussion process. The primary GD topics for MBA are the following:
Topics on Current Affairs
The group discussion (GD) topics on current affairs mainly depend on international and national issues, development in politics, recent political schemes and their applications. Such current affairs topics mostly check a candidate’s skills regarding political and general issues happenings around the globe. The contents of this topic are vast and challenging for candidates. Some essential contents for 2019 which is helpful for candidates are as follows:
- Scams and frauds in banks
- #Me too campaign
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency
- The mission of Mars from India
- Impact of technology on Jobs
Topics on Social Issues
Nowadays, business schools are mostly focused on this topic, because it tests the candidate’s responsibility towards society. Mostly the group discussion is on contents such as authors, social environment and issues. Candidates having the ability to think sharply and accurately can grab marks in this section. Nervous students will not be entertained. Some important contents for 2019 which are expected in this topic are as follows:
- Playgrounds can result in a bad impact on children
- Change in the environment due to pollution and climate
- Effect of social media on human behavior and society
- Penalties of death on offenders for crime related to women
- Empowerment of women and justice
GD on Abstract Topics
An abstract topic is not a cup for every candidate, because thinking is more important than institutional knowledge. Candidates should express their opinion with confidence and creativity. Again abstract topics are challenging, but it consists more explications than any other topics. There are topics which are tricky and tough to understand, so candidates have to prepare well to the extent that, they may have to take the support of coaching institutes. Some important contents which candidates should know for the GD section:
- Zero which is a number and numerical digit
- Knowledge is the best strength anyone can gain
- All about traveling and its effects
Topics on Business and Economy
This topic mostly consists of important facts related to business and economy. Candidates pursuing management courses should have knowledge of the latest business facts and development. Emerging brands and company including their financial status. Mostly details related to the economy are challenging one for the candidates. In this topic, knowledge is much important. Important contents which are essential and helpful for the candidates are as follows:
- Globalization/Nationalization and De-globalization
- The cashless economy in India
- Agriculture problems in India
- Poverty in India including their problems and effects
- Current economy of India 2018-19
- Candidates appearing for XAT or CAT should focus on group discussion once their written exam is done.
- Candidates should read and understand the topics which are important and trending in the past few years. The upcoming and present happenings should be known by candidates.
- All the candidates should read and understand English newspaper/books and magazines to understand any content whether it’s related to sports, current affairs, and political issues.
- Candidates have to prepare the topics which are repeated in the previous selection process. The conducting bodies always do minor changes in the same content; candidates should be prepared for such topics.
- Communication skills are the key to success during group discussion. Candidates having excellent communication skills along with decent vocabulary can crack the GD. Exceptional command over English gives the candidate edge during GD.
- The body language during the discussion is also an important point for candidates. Examiners mostly check candidates with their body language, the way of speaking and expressing their thoughts. It is advised that sitting on chair apart from other candidates can land up candidates in trouble.
- Listening skills is another essential points candidates should know about it. If any candidate wants to be an excellent speaker he/she should be a good listener first, rather than speaking continuously throughout the GD. Candidates have to be enthusiastic during the whole session and have to listen to other candidate’s point of view. Any candidate who is diligent during GD, then it shows he/she is dedicated to the group discussion.
Leave your vote
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!