About General Management
“Success in management requires learning as fast as the world is changing”. ~Warren Bennis
“Good management is the art of making problems so interesting and their solutions so constructive that everyone wants to get to work and deal with them”. ~Paul Hawken
Management is about persuading people to do things they do not want to do, while leadership is about inspiring people. Social scientists study management as an academic discipline, investigating areas such as social organization and organizational leadership. Some people study management at colleges or universities; major degrees in management include Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.) and Master of Business Administration (MBA.) and for the public sector, they study Master of Public Administration (MPA). Individuals who aim to become management specialists or experts, management researchers or professors may complete the Doctor of Management (DM), the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), or the PhD in Business Administration or Management.
- General Manager is an executive who has overall responsibility for managing both the revenue and cost elements of a company’s income statement, known as profit & loss (P&L) responsibility. A general manager usually oversees most or all of the firm’s marketing and sales functions as well as the day-to-day operations of the business. Frequently, the general manager is responsible for effective planning, delegating, coordinating, staffing, organizing, and decision making to attain profit-making results for an organization.
General Management Career Path
|BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration)/BBM (Bachelor of Business Management)
|10+2 or Equivalent
|GGSIPU CET BBA
|Average Course Fee
|₹6,71,000 (per year)
|Manager, Project Manager, Management Trainee
Colleges for General Management
- Amity University, Lucknow
- Assam Down Town University, Guwahati
- Bhai Parmanand Institute of Business Studies, Delhi
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Pune
- Chandraprabhu Jain College of Higher Studies, Delhi
- Christ University, Bengaluru
- Deen Dayal Upadhyay College, Delhi
- Delhi University (DU), New Delhi
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- Gargi College, University of Delhi, Delhi
- Gitam University, Visakhapatnam
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- ICFAI Business School, Hyderabad
- Institute of Management and Research, Ghaziabad
- Jagannath International Management School, Delhi
- Jai Hind College, Mumbai
- KC College, Mumbai
- Keshav Mahavidyalay, Delhi
- KIIT School of Management (KSOM), Bhubaneswar
- Lingya`s Lalita Devi Institute of Management & Sciences, Delhi
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Management Studies, Delhi
- Master School of Management, (MSM), Meerut
- Mithibhai College, Mumbai
- Mitsom College, Pune
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS), Mumbai
- Patna College
- Rukmini Devi Institute of Advanced Studies, Delhi
- Sant Hari dass College of Higher Education, Delhi
- School of Management Science, Varanasi
- Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, Delhi University, New Delhi
- Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce, Delhi
- SS Institute of Management, Lucknow
- Symbiosis International University, Pune
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
- Vivekanand Institute of Professional Studies, Delhi
Top Colleges for General Management
Scholarship / Fellowship in General Management
- As per the Institution’s Policy.
General Management Key Skills
General Management Career Prospects
- Project Manager
- Business Owner
- District Sales Manager
- Management Trainee
- Management Analyst
- General and Operations Manager
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
Jobs in General Management
- Retail Sector
- Manufacturing sector
- Educational Institutions
- Multinational Companies
Salary in General Management
A Manager (General Management) earns an average starting salary of ₹18,000 -50,000 per month.
General Management Role Models
Mr. Amit Agarwal, Global Senior Vice President and Country Head of Amazon India, is the man behind the staggering rise of the company surpassing all the internal milestones in the Indian e-commerce market. Known for his customer obsession and outstanding business development skills, he envisages Amazon to be the most customer-centric company by transforming the online business trend in India. It is surprising to know that the man who always aspired to become a teacher and accidently landed up in the internet business world is spearheading the expansion of the world’s largest online retailer in India’s booming e-commerce industry.
Vanitha Narayanan is the Chairman of IBM India Private Limited. Appointed to this leadership position in January 2017, she plays a critical role in enabling capabilities across IBM’s global missions in India, global centers of excellence, research and innovation labs. IBM will rely on her leadership to engage and further strengthen the Government and Regulatory affairs initiatives. She will maximize the value of the entire organization in the region by evangelizing IBM’s brand and solutions in the ecosystem.
Ms. Neelam Dhawan has been a Director of ICICI Bank Ltd., since January 12, 2018. Ms. Dhawan serves as Managing Director of Hewlett-Packard Enterprise India. Ms. Dhawan has been the Managing Director of HP India Pvt Ltd. since July 1, 2008, with a portfolio that includes software engineering, research and IT services. Prior to HP India, She served as a Managing Director at Microsoft Corporation (India) Pvt. Ltd. She served as Vice President of the Customer Solutions Group at HP and served at Compaq and IBM. She has over thirty five years of experience in the information technology industry. She has held a variety of leadership positions at Microsoft, HCL and IBM in India. She has been a Member of the Supervisory Board at Philips Electronics Australia Limited since 2012. She has been a Member of the Supervisory Board at Koninklijke Philips N.V. since April 26, 2012.
Aruna Jayanthi, is the Chief Executive Officer of Business Services of Capgemini Group. Earlier, she was the CEO for Capgemini India from January 2011 till Jan 2016, and the Chairperson of Board of Governors of National Institute of Technology Calicut since November 2014. As the CEO for Capgemini India earlier, Jayanthi used to oversees the operations across India and supports the Capgemini Group's growth agenda and strengthen India's position as an industrialization and innovation hub. Jayanthi was responsible for operations across all the business units – Consulting, Technology and Outsourcing services in India with a focus to increase the integration and performance of over 40,000 growing employee. Earlier, she served as a Global Delivery Officer for Capgemini Outsourcing. Capgemini India is one of the biggest business units of Capgemini group.
Kirthiga Reddy (born c.1971), is an Indian businesswoman and Managing Director (CEO) at Facebook India. She has recently said that she is stepping down from her position of CEO Facebook India, and is now moving to America to take on a global role at Facebook Headquarters in Menlo Park, California. "Our, two daughters, Ashna and Ariya are extremely excited for this change" She says, though some close friends have their doubts. She has the distinction of being the first employee of the social media giant in India and has been one of the leading forces behind the company's expansive growth in the country. In 2011, she became Fortune India's Top 50 Most Powerful Women and also has been placed among India's 25 most influential women.
Kolkata-born Kumud Srinivasan became president of Intel India in January 2013. Before this, she was the vice president and general manager for information technologies at Silicon Software and Services and headed Intel's internal full-service consulting practice. Presently, based in Santa Clara, Srinivasan has been with Intel for over past 25 years during which and has held various senior-level positions across the company's manufacturing and IT division. Srinivasan holds a bachelor's degree in economics from Calcutta University and a master's degree in information and library studies from Syracuse University.