About Interior Designing
“Some people look for a beautiful place, others make a place beautiful.” ― Hazrat Inayat Khan
Interior designing is basically shaping the look of an area to create a pleasing aesthetic for the client. It involves designing homes/properties, and then executing those designs to create the environment that the client wants. After determining the client’s needs, the interior designer needs to research what he/she wants to do with that space. They work on the basis of technical knowledge of building and structures. An Interior designer does not simply design but take into account all furnishings, color schemes, lighting aspects and materials that help create attractive interior spaces.
Interior decoration is not interior design. The basic job of an interior designer is to make optimal utilization of available space. An interior decorator on the other hand give advice for the use of color, textures, fabrics and decorative materials, light effects, layout and furniture in creating an attractive interior.
Interior Designing Career Path
|Duration||Certificate Courses: 6 months-1 year, Diploma Courses: 1-2 years, Bachelor Courses: 3-4 years, Master Courses: 2-3 years,|
|Eligibility||10+2/Graduation (any discipline), Candidates awaiting 10+2 result can also apply, 10+2 (PCM/any discipline) with 50% - 55% marks (only for CEPT University, Ahmedabad), 10th class (only for some certificate/diploma courses),|
|Entrance Exam||NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture), CEED (Common Entrance Examination for Design), UCEED (Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design), NEED (National Entrance Examination for Design), CEPT (Center for Environmental Planning and Technology), All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED)|
|Average Course Fee||INR 25,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Goal||Interior Designer, Teacher in an interior design institute and Interior Decorator|
Colleges for Interior Designing
- Arch academy of design, Jaipur
- Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT) University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- INIFD Deccan, Pune
- Institute of Indian Interior Designers (IIID), Mumbai
- National Institute of Design(NID), Ahmedabad
- Pearl Academy, Mumbai
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi
- Sir J. J. Institute of Applied Art, Mumbai
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Karnataka
Top Colleges for Interior Designing
Scholarship / Fellowship in Interior Designing
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad awards scholarship to the needy and deserving students with the support of Ford Foundation and Government of India.
- CEPT University grants program scholarship as well.
- The Swami Dayanand Charitable Education Foundation (SDCEF) is offering scholarships Merit-Cum-Means Scholarships to meritorious students pursuing Architectural Courses.
- ARCH Academy of Design have its own scholarship scheme.
- The All India Council for Technical Education AICTE PG (GATE / GPAT) scholarship for Indian Students: The scholarship is available to pursue post-graduation in the field of architecture.
- TGC, New Delhi an ISO certified company offers scholarship program for talented and economically challenged students who are extremely passionate about Art and Design.
Interior Designing Key Skills
Interior Designing Career Prospects
- Interior Designer
- Interior Decorator
- Design Consultant
- Creative Director
- Teacher / Faculty
- Freelancer / Entrepreneur
Jobs in Interior Designing
- Architectural Firms
- Interior Designing Firms
- Own Venture / Self-Employed
- Builders / Construction Groups (e.g. residential, workplaces and commercial spaces)
- Government Projects / Public Works Department
- Hospitals and Clinics
- Education Sector
- Design Studios, Theatres and Exhibition Organizers
- Town and City Planning Bureaus
- Event Management Companies
Salary in Interior Designing
Depending on their expertise and experience, the starting package ranges between 10,000 INR – 20,000 INR per month which gets increased on the basis of experience.
Interior Designing Role Models
Hameeda Sharma - Listed in Forbes as 7th best interior in India. Hameeda Sharma is an interior designer based at Bangalore. She is a partner with her husband in the firm Aamir and Hameeda associates. she got in design industry 10 years ago. She won many awards in different categories which motivates us to introduce innovative designs and facilitate better living in the society."
Milind Pai - Chief Architect ' Milind Pai ' of the firm Milind Pai - Architects & Interior Designers, graduated with a 1st class degree from Sir J.J. College of architecture in 1987. The firm was established in the very 1st year after completing his graduation. The core purpose since the inception of this firm has been to ' Inspire creativity '. Since then, Milind Pai - Architects & Interior Designers has evolved into a dedicated team of professionals committed to design excellence and offering comprehensive service in the field of Architecture, Interior Designing and Project Consultation.
Kayzad Shroff – He is a young architectural design and research initiative currently active in the fields of Urban Design, Landscape Urbanism, Architecture, Interior Design and Installations. The collaborative, incepted in Ithaca, New York, in 2008, is presently based in Mumbai, India. In addition to practice, both its principals are currently involved in Academia,with Maria being a visiting faculty at BSSA, Mumbai, and Kayzad a Teaching Associate at Cornell University, USA.
Lipika Sud – She is one of India's leading Interior Designers. Lipika is the Founder Director of 'Lipika Sud Interiors Pvt. Ltd' and 'Dimension Designers Pvt. Ltd' and has been practicing Interior Design for over two decades (since 1989) .She also runs Art n Aura- an Art services company. She is currently the President of The Guild of Designers & Artists and Immediate Past Chairperson of the Institute of Indian Interior Designers - DRC. She is also the Co-Chairperson of The Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (Infrastructure) Honored with title of Best Professional of 2012