“Medicines cure diseases, but only doctors can cure patients.” – CARL JUNG
Doctors are medical professionals who examine, diagnose, treat and counsel patients. They would prescribe treatments and medications or even surgeries accordingly. Doctors work in large hospitals to offer treatment in all branches covered under the medical specialties, in multi-specialty hospitals, clinics, nursing homes. They can also offer services for the Ministry of Defense or for government hospitals.
They also work towards educating and spreading awareness in public to prevent spreading of various diseases and illnesses.
Doctor Career Path
|MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery)|
|Duration||5 ½ years|
|Eligibility||10+2 (PCB [Physics, Chemistry & Biology]/Bio-technology & English) with aggregate of 50% to 60% marks (40% to 50% in case of reserved category); Applicants from NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) can also apply with the same criteria, Class XII candidates whose result is awaited can also apply, Age: 17-25 years (5 years relaxation for SC/ST/OBC), Medical entrance test is mandatory|
|Average Course Fee||Govt. colleges: INR 1,00,000 to INR 3,00,000, Private colleges: INR 20,00,000 to INR 50,00,000|
|Goal||General Physician, General Surgeon, General Practitioner, Junior Doctor, Medical Services under the Ministry of Defence, Higher Studies, Junior Resident, Teacher|
|BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)|
|Duration||4 years and 1 year internship|
|Eligibility||10+2 (PCB [Physics, Chemistry & Biology]/Bio-technology & English) with aggregate of 50% to 60% marks (40% in case of reserved category); Applicants from NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) can also apply with the same criteria, Class XII candidates whose result is awaited can also apply, Age: 17-25 years (5 years relaxation for SC/ST/OBC), Medical entrance test is mandatory|
|Average Course Fee||Govt. colleges: INR 1,00,000 to INR 3,00,000, Private colleges: INR 10,00,000 to INR 30,00,000|
|Goal||Dentist/Dental Surgeon, Teacher|
|MD (Doctor of Medicine)/ MS (Master of Surgery)|
|Eligibility||MBBS with 50% to 55% marks from college recognized by Medical Council of India, PG entrance test is mandatory, Candidates should have obtained permanent registration with Medical Council of India/State Medical Councils|
|Entrance Exam||National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) -MDS|
|Specialization||Doctor of Medicine (MD)- Obstetrics & Gynecology, Neurology, Anesthesiology, Cardiology, General Medicine, Pediatric, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Pathology, Orthopedic, Master of Surgery (MS)- Pediatric Surgery, General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Urology, Cardiac Surgery, Plastic Surgery, ENT, Ophthalmology, Gynecology & Obstetrics, Orthopedics|
|Average Course Fee||Govt. colleges: INR 1,00,000 to INR 5,00,000, Private colleges: INR 10,00,000 to INR 40,00,000|
|Goal||Physician, Pathologist, Surgeon, Cardiologist, Resident Medical officer, Neurosurgeon, Lecturer, Anesthetist, Pediatrician, Super specialty courses/Doctoral Degree/Research|
Colleges for Doctor
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Amrita College of Dentistry, Kerala
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore
- Government Dental College & Research Institute, Bengaluru
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai
- Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- King George’s Medical University (KGMU), Lucknow
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha, Maharashtra
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI), Lucknow
- SDM College of Dental Sciences & Hospital, Dharwad
- Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai
- St. John's Medical College, Bangalore
Top Colleges for Doctor
Scholarship / Fellowship in Doctor
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) offers Merit-Cum-Means Based Scholarship to needy meritorious students for MBBS / BDS.
- Ministry of Minority Affairs, Govt. of India offers Merit cum Means Scholarship (MOMA Scholarship) to the MBBS students belonging to the minority community and who are not financially strong.
- All India Scholarship Entrance Examination (AISEE) is a non-government organization, which provide Medical Scholarship for college students.
- The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is an on-going National Program of Fellowship is initiated and funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. It attracts exceptionally highly motivated students for pursuing research career in science.
- Manipal University offers Free-ship & Merit-cum-Means Scholarship to top performing students in NEET examinations, admitted through Directorate General of Health Services, New Delhi to MBBS and BDS programs at Manipal and Mangalore campuses.
- Indian Oil awards IOCL Scholarship to the 1st year MBBS students.
- Swiss Government provides Swiss Government Excellence Research Scholarship
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) offers NTPC Scholarship for SC / ST & PH meritorious students who are studying at government medical colleges in India.
- Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme for the students of Jammu & Kashmir who are seeking admission in MBBS / BDS. Scholarship is awarded to students who are admitted through AICTE counseling process.
- The Swami Dayanand Charitable Education Foundation (SDCEF) offers scholarships Merit-Cum-Means Scholarships to meritorious students pursuing medical courses.
- Brainztorm Technical Excellence conducts All India Pre-Medical Scholarship Test (AIPMST) for studying MBBS / BDS in India.
- The University Grants Commission (UGC), in association with the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) awards Ishan Uday Scholarship for the students of North Eastern region pursuing degree courses in medical science.
- Loreal India awards scholarships for young women in Science program.
- Narotam Sekhsaria Excellence Award and Certificate of Merit Scholarships for UG Studies in Medicine are merit based scholarships provided by Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation.
- The Fair and Lovely Foundation Scholarship for women is a merit based scholarship provided by Fair and Lovely Foundation.
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh offers Ph.D. fellowships for students pursuing Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in medical program.
Doctor Key Skills
Doctor Career Prospects
- Junior doctor
- Medical Professor or Lecturer
- Medical Consultant / Advisor
- Sports Medicine Specialists
- Medical Officer
- Veterinary Doctor
Jobs in Doctor
- Government / Private Hospitals
- Multi-Specialty hospitals
- Ministry of Defence
- Medical Colleges / Educational Institutions
- Health Care Centers
- Nursing Homes
- Mental Hospitals
- Own Venture
- University research departments
- Public health laboratories
- Private medical organizations
- Medical Advisory Board
- Health Ministry
- Sports Authority
- Pharmaceutical Companies
Salary in Doctor
The salary depends upon how much knowledge & experience you have. The initial salary of a medical graduate doctor may be INR 30,000 to INR 40,000 per month. After getting the experience and good hands on in this field, the candidate may get the handsome salary as 10 to 15 lakh per annum.
Doctor Role Models
Dr. Naresh Trehan
Dr Naresh Trehan is an Indian cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon. After graduating from King George Medical College, Lucknow, India, he went on to practice at New York University Medical Center Manhattan USA from 1971 to 1988. After a successful career in the US, he returned to India and started Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre. At present, he serves as the chairman and managing director and chief cardiac surgeon of MedantaTM-The Medicity. He has served as personal surgeon to the President of India since 1991, has received numerous awards, including the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award.
Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
Devi Prasad Shetty (born 8 May 1953) is an Indian cardiac surgeon. He is chairman and Founder of Narayana Health, a chain of 21 medical centers in India. He has performed over 15,000 heart operations. In 2004 he was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award followed by the Padma Bhushan in 2012, the third highest civilian award by the Government of India for his contribution to the field of affordable healthcare. He returned to India in 1989 and initially worked at B.M. Birla Hospital in Kolkata. He successfully performed the first neonatal heart surgery in the country in 1992, on a 9-day-old baby named "Ronnie". In Kolkata he operated on Mother Teresa after she had a heart attack and subsequently served as her personal physician.
Dr. A. G. K. Gokhale
Dr A. G. K. Gokhale (also known as Dr Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale; Telugu born 2 October 1959; MBBS, M.S. (General Surgery), M.Ch (Cardio-thoracic surgery), DNB (Cardiothoracic Surgery), SMP (IIM-C)) is an Indian Cardiac Surgeon at Apollo Hospitals. He is known for being the first to perform a successful human-to-human heart transplant and first successful lung transplant in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. He worked at Yashoda Hospitals and Global hospitals before this where he performed many of his historic achievements such as the first Heart Transplant, and Minimal access cardiac surgeries. He is also the Chairman of the charitable trust called "Sahrudaya Health, Medical and Educational Trust" that monetarily assists and provides moral support to poor heart patients and spread knowledge about prevention of heart diseases and is running a successful open heart surgery programme in Guntur Government General hospital. A heart surgeon by profession, and a philanthropist by nature, Dr. Gokhale along with his core team of professionals and generous donors, have dedicated their time, skills and resources in reaching out to those in need.For his contributions, he was honored by many associations including Indian Medical Association, Rotary and Lions clubs. He was felicitated by Government of Andhra Pradesh with Ugadi Puraskaram (2015) and in recognition of his contributions to the profession and society, he was honored by the Government of India with “Padma Sri”award(2016).
Dr. Aamod Rao Is An Experienced Aesthetic Surgeon Who Has Trained In Plastic Surgery At The Bombay Hospital And Research Centre, After Completing His Surgical Training At KIMS Hospital And Research Centre (Bangalore).He Has Also Completed A Fellowship In Aesthetic Surgery At The PUCRS University In Porto Alegre, Brazil. Additionally, Dr. Rao Is Trained In Aesthetic Medicine At The Empire Medical Training Centre, USA.His Main Areas Of Interest Are Facial Aesthetic Surgery And Body Contouring Surgery, Utilizing The Patient'S Own Body Fat For Breast And Buttock Augmentation And High Definition Liposculpting. Dr. Aamod Rao Has Been Featured In The Top 10 Successful Surgeons In India.Dr Aamod Rao has been featured in the top 10 successful surgeons in India.
Suniti Solomon (1938 or 1939 – 28 July 2015) was an Indian physician and microbiologist who pioneered AIDS research and prevention in India after having diagnosed the first Indian AIDS cases in Chennai in 1985 along with her student Sellappan Nirmala . She founded the Y R Gaitonde Centre for AIDS Research and Education in Chennai. The Indian government conferred the National Women Bio-scientist Award on her. On 25 January 2017, Government of India announced "Padma Shri" award for her contribution towards Medicine. In her earlier career life abroad, Solomon had worked as a junior physician at King’s College Hospital, London. After returning to India, Solomon worked as a microbiologist at Madras Medical College and rose to the rank of professor.