“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?” ~Albert Einstein 

Research assistants/associate are an important component to the research process and particularly to large research projects conducted at larger organizations such as universities. They are hired for assisting a professor/researcher in their research projects related to fields such as science, social science/humanities, business, marketing and will perform experiments under their supervision. Research assistants/associate are typically individuals who would either like to gain more research experience in their chosen field and advance their education in that field. They make hypotheses, collect data, and interpret results in order to answer questions related to their research.

Research Associate: A Research Associate is a budgeted position with a formal job description and will normally work in a department and be available to offer research assistance. He should have a Ph.D. qualification. They get salary as per standards maintained by UGC (University Grants Commission).

Research Assistant: They are employed by research institution/university on a temporary basis for the purpose of assisting academic research. Research assistant could be of any qualification and need not be a Ph.D. The salary can vary depending on factors such as their level of education, past work experience, the specific responsibilities of their job and many other factors. Sometimes students that work as research assistants for a faculty member of their college may be compensated by receiving credit towards their degree, rather than receiving financial compensation.

Research Fellow: It is a limited-term appointment that is normally funded by an endowment or research grant from a funding agency. Research fellow is working/doing research to get the Ph.D. qualification, once he submits his work he is awarded Ph.D.