BCA or Bachelors in Computer Application is an undergraduate degree course in computer. With the advancement in IT industry, more and more IT professionals are needed. Hence, BCA is another route to reach out this feat.
The course is of 3 years, divided into 6 semesters of which the final semester usually is a project or an internship. It comprises of the subjects like a database, networking, data structure, core programming languages like ‘C’ and ‘java’. Many government and private institutes offer BCA with a varied curriculum in India.
- 10+2 passed in English medium with minimum 50%.
- The students are generally admitted on the basis of personal interview and written examination conducted by various institutes/universities.
- Some institutes/universities admit a student on merit basis.
- The merit is prepared on the basis of candidate’s performance in the qualifying examination (12th).
The 3 years of BCA, a student studies the following subject in his/her course:
- Programming in C Language (Basic and Advanced)
- Networking and World-Wide-Web
- Data Structure
- Advanced C Language ProgrammingDatabase Management, Mathematics
- Database Management, Mathematics and Software Engineering
- Object Oriented Programming using C++
- Visual Basic, Programming using PHP, JAVA, Oracle and Operating Systems
- Web Scripting and Development
Career After BCA
A career in BCA can be luminous if it is done from a reputed university. Students pursuing BCA can go in the following fields:
- System Engineer and administrator
- Web Developer
- Chief Information Officer
- Computer Programmer
- Software Developer
- Database Administrator
These professionals usually get hired by companies like Cognizance, TCS, Tech Mahindra, WIPRO, Infosys etc.
Is Math Compulsory?
No. And Yes. Confused? Well, math is essentially not important for BCA but it is always recommended since the subjects in college would require a great deal of mathematical application which is nothing but complex. So, in your 10+2, go for math as optional and either of computer courses (C++, Python, JAVA, IT etc) as compulsory. Also, a basic knowledge of maths will help you to ace subjects like Quantitative Aptitude which are often the hitting points to your CGP!
- IP University
- SRM University
- Xavier Institute of Computer Application, Ahemadabad
- DAV College, Chandigarh
- VIT Vellore
- NIM Mumbai
- IMS Noida
- Chandigarh University
- CBSA, Mohali
- Graphic Era Universit, Dehradun
- Sharda Universiy, Noida
These are some good colleges which offer BCA. For more list click here.